Essential oils are highly concentrated oils extracted from medicinal plants. They are used to address a wide variety of emotional and physical ailments. I offer the option to include essential oils in any massage service for free.
In fact, if you’ve been to Emerge Massage Studio then you already know what my typical questions are when you arrive. I’ll usually ask, “would you like some water? Do you need to use the restroom?” and most importantly, “how are you feeling?”
The last question gives you an opportunity to check in with your body and let me know how you’re doing physically and emotionally. Depending on your answer, I might recommend using a specific essential oil.
How can essential oils help me?
Essential Oils can help with all kinds of emotional and physical ailments. Here’s a list to get you started:
- Grief –
- Neroli is a very soothing oil and is especially helpful to aid you in moving through the emotional stress, anxiety, depression, and stress of deep loss.
- Frankincense is extremely calming to the mind during times when our thoughts are usually racing when we lose a loved one.
- Lavender is very calming and works particularly well on the depression, anxiety, guilt, and shame that often accompany grief.
- Bergamot is an uplifting oil and can help you remember that yes, you will eventually feel happiness and joy again.
- Rosemary is another uplifting oil as well as energizing and can help you move through the feelings of anger.
- Stress Relief –
- Lavender is the classic oil for stress relief and most people like how it smells.
- Frankincense is very centering and calming and often used as a meditation aid.
- Orange is bright and cheery and can bring most people back from the doldrums.
- Immune Boost –
- Lemon essential oil has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, which makes it an effective oil to use when you’re feeling under the weather.
- Peppermint is great for addressing respiratory problems, headache, nausea, and fevers (although if you’re that sick, you probably should stay home).
- Pain Relief –
- Peppermint and Wintergreen oil are effective analgesics that cool inflamed joints and reduce back pain.
- Frankincense and cypress oil reduce inflammation and improve circulation which improves back pain.
- Ginger is great for addressing inflammation and increasing circulation.
Which Oils Should You Use?
I can make a recommendation based on how you’re feeling and what I have in stock. My main guide for picking out the right essential oil for your massage is your nose. I will always ask you to sniff an oil before I decide to use it during your massage.
If you have questions about essential oils, feel free to reach out.